FTP Basics by Ping
To upload your comics to ComicGenesis, you need to FTP them to the ComicGenesis Server.
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. In non tech jargon, an FTP client is a program that sends the files from your computer to Comic Genesis' computer. There are plenty of free ones out there, so do a search on Google. Or if you know of a good free one, post here and let me know so I can link it up.
Edit: LennyZ posted a thread that listed a few good sites which I will include here. Thanks Lenny!
- Filezilla - Very reliable and works with Comic Genesis with default settings. It's good for beginners.
- SmartFTP - Popular favourite, seems to used by the majority of people I know. Can sometimes have issues with connecting to CG with default settings.
- WS_FTP - Heard that it's simple (and therefore also good for beginners)
- LeechFTP - Been told it can handle multiple transfers at once.
- RBrowserLite - A pretty good Mac OS X ftp client for beginners. Nothing fancy, but it just works. ;)
Different FTP Clients have different user interfaces, so it's impossible for me to cover them here, but FTP Planet and Webmonkey have FTP tutorials which should help. Google for FTP tutorials for your particular client if you have to.
Internet Explorer can also be used as an FTP Client. See here for instructoins how (specific to V6, run a search for different versions).
If you don't want to download or install unknown programs or are using a computer that isn't yours (such as at school or a net cafe) then you can use CG's built in WebFTP Client with instructions available here.
Return to the Tutorials page
This article is a stub. Expand it, post haste, or we'll break your thumbs!